Saturday, May 02, 2009

So it isn't actually green?

No it isn't, turns out it's white. But it says "Permanent Resident Card" at the top alright.

For several years now, the 'temporary' aspect of the H1-B visa has hung threateningly over my life and my career decisions. And now I am finally accepted as a permanent resident of the country where I have spent almost my whole adult life.

Also, it is one more check mark on the standard NRI success checklist - grad school? check. married? check. green card? check.

So I ought to feel happy. And I did too, for a moment. My first thought was "Wow, I could take a break from work if I wanted". My second thought was "Damn, I can't! I need the health insurance." And so life goes on..

1 comment:

Asirap said...

Congratulations! I feel that much more patriotically closer to you and have ordered a jean jacket with embroidered American flag for you to now sport around town!